Welcome to Historic Downbeach, The Current’s weekly feature that looks back through the histories of Ventnor, Margate and Longport. Each week we get a chance to learn or reminisce, courtesy of the Downbeach area historical societies. See more at shorenewstoday.com.
Longport Ferry Service
Two years after Longport was settled in 1882, five steamboats began operating a ferry service from the newly built pier at 16th Avenue and the bay. They were named after several beach communities: The Avalon, The Wildwood, The Somers Point, The Ocean City and The Longport.
The steamers took alternate trips from the Longport Pier to Somers Point and Ocean City. Since the 10-cent ride was so popular, a special officer was hired on weekends to ensure the boats were not overcrowded.
Ferry service operated until 1918, when the boats were destroyed by fire while in winter storage in Camden.
For more see, www.longporthistoricalsociety.org/museum