Welcome to History Notes, our weekly feature that looks at Egg Harbor Township history. Each week we get a chance to learn or reminisce courtesy of Lynn Wood of the Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society, who shares early photos of places in Egg Harbor Township with our readers.
Built in about 1820-1830, this two-story house in the English Creek section of the township first served as a tavern and later as a hotel.
Richard Scull (1792-1854) served in the War of 1812 and married Elizabeth Hickman (1797-1872). He was given a tavern license while Atlantic County was still a part of Gloucester County, and this building served as his tavern.
Scull perished on the meadows of the Great Egg Harbor River, according to his grandson. He had become disoriented in a snowstorm after taking a friend to Estellville by boat.
The building is described as a hotel owned by Richard’s wife, Elizabeth, on the 1872 F.W. Beers map. Nearby Betsy Scull Road is named after her.
Information was obtained from “Some Historic Buildings in Egg Harbor Township, Atlantic County, New Jersey" by Joan Berkey.
Irish Celli Performance: The Kate O’Brien Dancers and Nae Breeks Bag Pipe and Drum group will perform 7 p.m. March 2 in the large multipurpose room at the Community Center.
The Greate Egg Harbor Township Historical Society Museum is always looking for items of historical value. The museum is open 1-3 p.m. the first Saturday of each month and 1-3 p.m. every Sunday.
Go to gehthsmuseum.org, see the Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society Museum on Facebook, or call 609-813-2002.