The Steelmanville Schoolhouse housed first through eighth grades.

Photo courtesy GEHTHS museum

Welcome to History Notes, our weekly feature that looks at Egg Harbor Township history. Each week, we get a chance to learn or reminisce courtesy of Lynn Wood of the Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society, who shares early photos of places in Egg Harbor Township with our readers.

Located on Steelmanville Road, the Steelmanville Schoolhouse was a small, one-room schoolhouse built on land donated by Lydia and Peter Steelman in the early 1800s. All eight grades were taught in the school.

Today, trees have grown in the area where the wooden school once stood.

You can watch Madalyn Ireland Johnson talk about attending the school in a documentary available at the GEHTHS museum.

Upcoming events

The society will host “Hops for History,” a tour and celebration, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Sunday, May 21, at Tuckahoe Brewing Co., 3092 English Creek Ave. The event will include beer tasting, a brewery tour, light food and a brief history of beer making. Tickets are $20. Must be 21 or older. Proceeds benefit the society. Call 609-601-1223 or email GEHTHSMuseum@aol.com.

To learn more, see gehthsmuseum.org, call 609-601-1223 or see the Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society Museum on Facebook. The museum, located at 6647 West Jersey Ave. in Egg Harbor Township, is open 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.