Welcome to Historic Galloway, The Current’s weekly feature that looks back through Galloway Township history. Each week we get a chance to learn or reminisce, courtesy of Sarah Snow, librarian for the Galloway Township Historical Society. She shares information and early photos online and in print.
By SARAH SNOW
Schiavo's Grocery Store was located in the Pomona Garage building, along the east side, with the entrance in the front of the building at an angle. Ralph and Cindy Schiavo opened the store in the late 1930's. In 1941 they temporarily closed the store for the duration of WWII, and the couple went to work at the Pembroke Clothing factory in Egg Harbor City making uniforms for our servicemen. After the war the store was reopened and continued into the 1960's.
The museum is seeking old pictures, documents or items from Galloway’s past. The Historical Society will scan and copy them. Other items can be loaned or donated to the museum.
The Historical Society Museum is open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Saturday. It is located in front of the Municipal Complex, 300 E. Jimmie Leeds Road.
See gallowayhistory.org and Historic Galloway on Facebook to learn more or call 609-287-2440.