030- Leeds Point  N.J. Church before 1937

Built in 1851, the Leeds Point Presbyterian Church burned to the ground on March 14, 1937.

Welcome to Historic Galloway, The Current’s weekly feature that looks back through Galloway Township history. Each week we get a chance to learn or reminisce courtesy of Sarah Snow, librarian for the Galloway Township Historical Society, who shares information and early photos online and in print.

By SARAH SNOW

This is the first Leeds Point church, built in 1851 on land donated by Japhet Leeds. It was heated by wood, and like many such structures, burned to the ground. The fire occurred on March 14, 1937. Rebuilding began immediately, and today's church stands on the same spot.

Year in review from Galloway History Notes column

Take a look through Galloway's weekly history column. Each week spotlights a different place in the township. Photos are courtesy of courtesy of Sarah Snow, librarian for the Galloway Township Historical Society.

The Galloway Township Historical Society Museum is seeking old pictures, documents or items from Galloway’s past. The Historical Society will scan and copy them. Other items can be loaned or donated to the museum.

The museum is open 11 a.m.-2 p.m. every Saturday. It is in front of the Municipal Complex, 300 E. Jimmie Leeds Road.

See gallowayhistory.org and Historic Galloway on Facebook to learn more or call 609-287-2440.

Stay informed! Sign up to receive top headlines from Atlantic County delivered to your inbox.