EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP – Close to 340,000 New Jersey children face hunger every day, and many of their families don’t have the means to enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner of turkey and all the trimmings.
To help ensure that people across the state have what they need for a holiday meal, the Community FoodBank of New Jersey has been acquiring thousands of turkeys since the spring and will gather even more at the 16th annual Turkey Drive the weekend before Thanksgiving.
FoodBank staff and volunteers will collect frozen turkeys and all the fixings at four dozen sites across the state Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 19 and 20.
Items most wanted include frozen turkeys (never fresh or thawed) and hams, gravy, cranberry sauce, boxed stuffing, canned soup and stew, canned fruit and vegetables, pasta, rice, grains and other nonperishables. No food in glass jars or bottles can be accepted.
Last year the Community FoodBank of New Jersey gathered nearly 35,000 pounds of food and more than 4,300 turkeys for families in need.
For more information see cfbnj.org/turkey.
The turkey drive will be held 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19 at these Atlantic County locations:
- Acme Mays Landing, 4454 E. Black Horse Pike
- Acme Somers Point, 212 New Road
- Acme Ventnor Heights, 5100 Wellington Ave.
- Community FoodBank of New Jersey, 6735 E. Black Horse Pike, Egg Harbor Township
- ShopRite Absecon, 616 White Horse Pike
- ShopRite Egg Harbor Township, 3003 English Creek Ave.
- ShopRite Galloway, 401 S. Pitney Road
- ShopRite Hammonton, 80 S. White Horse Pike
- ShopRite Somers Point, 23 Bethel Road
- Walmart Mays Landing, 4620 E. Black Horse Pike.