Brigantine Fire and EMS Department News – Week of Dec. 7, 2012

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

Brigantine Fire and EMS Department

The City of Brigantine Fire Department responded to 31 Emergency Medical Service and 17 fire calls for service during the two weeks ending Dec. 2.

The fire calls included commercial fire alarms, an outdoor in-ground electrical fire, a vehicle fire, two oven fires contained to the appliances, a cooking fire that caused damage to two appliances, multiple natural gas leaks both inside and outside of residences, a water leak in a residence, an overheated appliance motor and assisting with EMS alarms and assisting the public.

On Saturday evening, Nov. 24, the members of ‘B’ platoon, under the command of Lt. Paul Fuller, responded to the 4900 block of Harbor Beach Boulevard in Engine 3, Truck 1 and Rescue 2 for a report of smoke and fire inside a residence.

While responding, it was reported that all of the occupants were outside the structure, and Brigantine Police Officer DeLeon had stopped the advance of the fire with an extinguisher. Upon arrival, members advanced a fire attack line, and encountered a residence filled with a moderate amount of smoke and a fire that had been contained to the oven.

Once the fire was extinguished, members began to ventilate the structure using the ventilation fan, used the thermal imaging camera to check for hidden fire in the surrounding walls. They disconnected and removed the oven from the structure.

Once the residence was clear of all smoke and toxic fumes, the homeowner was advised to have the oven replaced and installed by a certified technician, and was allowed to return to the home.

On Wednesday evening, Nov. 28, the members of ‘B’ platoon, under the command of Captain Thomas Bordonaro, responded in Engine 3, Truck 1 and Rescue 2 for a report of a vehicle fire in the 3600 block of Atlantic-Brigantine Boulevard on a commercial property.

Upon their arrival, they found a mini-van with smoke and flame coming from the rear of the vehicle. The fire was extinguished, ventilated and the battery was disconnected to prevent further electrical issues.

The vehicle owner was made aware of the situation, and stated that the vehicle had been exposed to flood waters during Hurricane Sandy.

EMS calls included cardiac emergencies, respiratory emergencies, medical emergencies including syncope (lost consciousness), cerebral vascular accidents (strokes) and diabetic emergencies, traumas caused by falls causing lacerations, abrasions, swelling and suspected fractures, psychiatric emergencies, overdoses of prescription medicine, allergic reactions necessitating the use of the epinephrine pen as well as assisting with lifting and moving patients.

On Monday afternoon, Nov. 26, Firefighter-Emergency Medical Technicians Goff and Roberts responded in BLS Rescue 2 for a report of an allergic reaction.

Upon their arrival, they found a patient experiencing classic signs of an anaphylactic reaction including respiratory distress and tightness in the throat from a suspected allergic reaction.

The Rescue 2 crew immediately administered a shot with the epinephrine pen, assessed vitals and administered oxygen. They continued treatment while transporting to Atlantic Care Regional Medical Center, and the patients condition improved dramatically while en-route to the hospital.

The Brigantine Fire Department reminds the public that, according to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number 1 cause of home structure fires, as well as home fire injuries in the United States, and the third leading cause of home fire fatalities. Nearly all cooking equipment fires start with the ignition of food, other cooking materials like grease or cooking oil, or other items normally found or installed in a kitchen such as cabinets, wall coverings, paper or plastic bags and curtains.

During the five-year period 2005-2009, fire departments in the U.S. responded to an average of 155,400 home structure fires per year that involved cooking equipment. These fires caused an average of 390 civilian fire deaths, 4,800 civilian fire injuries, and $771 million in direct property damage.

Cooking equipment was involved in two of every five reported house fires, one in every seven home fire deaths, two of every five reported home fire injuries and 11 percent of the direct property damage resulting from home fires.

Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in these fires.

Ranges accounted for the largest share - 58 percent - of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16 percent.

Three of every five – 58 percent - reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.

A Consumer Product Safety Commission study found that 83 percent of frying fires began in the first 15 minutes of cooking.

The Brigantine Fire Department recommends the following safety tips to remember when cooking. Most importantly, always stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove. Also, keep anything that can catch fire – oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, potholders, towels or curtains – away from your stovetop.

If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking.

Always remember to keep a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove, and areas where hot food and drink are prepared or carried.

Some personal safety tips include wearing short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire. Also, never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.

Always keep an oven mitt and a pan lid nearby. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Then turn off the burner. Don’t remove the lid until the pan is completely cool. If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Be sure to have the oven serviced before you use it again.

In the event of any type of fire in the kitchen, evacuate the entire home. Never attempt to go back in the structure and fight the fire on your own. When you leave, close the door behind you to prevent the spread of the fire, and dial 911 immediately. In case of an oven fire, if you can, turn off the heat to the oven, and keep the oven door closed. Remember, once you get out, stay out.

On Tuesday, Nov. 20, 10 of our department’s off duty members assisted with the delivery of food baskets to our island residents through the True Spirit Coalition for Thanksgiving. Our members have assisted with this worthy cause for more than 20 years, since the inception of the coalition.

The Fire Department website has had some great renovations completed, with much of the work being done by Firefighter-EMT Zach Laielli. Visit the site, and check out all of our new updates and changes that have been made. For fire prevention and safety tips, and information about our department, visit our web site www.brigantinebeachnj.com and click onto the Fire Department link.


blog comments powered by Disqus