Fire ruins shed, greenhouse

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

Germania fire Germania fire

GALLOWAY – Volunteers from Germania and Pomona fire companies responded to the 300 Block of North Prague Avenue in the Germania section of the township Thursday, Feb. 21.

Upon arrival fire crews found a 12- by 16-foot shed with an attached 10- by 20-foot greenhouse fully in flames, according to township Fire Marshal Ron Garbutt.

The alarm was reported at 12:17 p.m. to Galloway Central Dispatch. 

Fire crews had the fire under control in about 10 minutes and remained on the scene until 1:36 p.m., Garbutt said.

The shed was located about 20 feet from the main house.

The homeowner who was home at the time of the fire stated that he was alerted to the blaze by his dog barking, the fire marshal said.

He called 911.

The greenhouse housed some chickens which perished in the fire along with a cat, according to Garbutt.

The owner reportedly said that there was a heat lamp in the structure for the chickens and may have contributed to the start of the fire.

Seventeen firefighters were on the scene.

There were no reported injuries.

A tanker from Port Republic was also at the site because there are no fire hydrants in the area.


blog comments powered by Disqus