Accidental fire at Galloway townhouse destroys end-unit residence

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

Dennis C. Sharpe photos/A townhouse in Blue Herron Pines in Galloway suffered severe damage from a Feb. 20 fire. Dennis C. Sharpe photos/A townhouse in Blue Herron Pines in Galloway suffered severe damage from a Feb. 20 fire.

GALLOWAY – An accidental mattress fire inside a residence in Blue Herron Pines apartments quickly spread into a fire that destroyed a townhouse and caved in the roof, Thursday, Feb. 20.

The volunteer fire companies of Germania and Pomona from the Galloway Township Fire Department were dispatched to Bally Bunyon Drive at the Blue Herron Pines Apartments at 3:45 a.m. after a caller reported a mattress fire inside the apartment. The apartment is an end unit of a two-story wood-frame townhouse.

Dennis Sharpe photos Dennis Sharpe photos

The Germania Volunteer Fire Company was dispatched initially, but the Pomona Volunteer Fire Company was quickly added to the call within minutes of the dispatch when an off duty EMT reported a well-involved structure.

Germania Chief Dave Simpkins requested a response from the Cologne Volunteer Fire Company in nearby Hamilton Township for their tower truck. He requested a ladder response from Pomona Chief Eric Winkler as well. The South Egg Harbor Volunteer Fire Company for Rapid Intervention Team and their air cascade trailer were also called in.

Upon arrival, the crew from the first-due Germania engine led off with heavy lines and began attacking the fire while Pomona positioned their ladder in front and began an aerial assault.

The Cologne Tower was positioned on the delta side of the fire as there was a small access road for the tenants and allowed easy accessibility for the tower to reach the fire.

The fire was contained quickly and the firefighters were able to contain the damage so none of the other attached units were damaged.

 The cause of the fire determined it to be accidental and one civilian occupant was treated by Galloway EMS for burns to the hands.

Galloway Township Police, Atlantic City Electric, South Jersey Gas and the American Red Cross also responded. 

Dennis Sharpe photos Dennis Sharpe photos


blog comments powered by Disqus