Township OKs Hamilton Commons stormwater management plan

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP – The Hamilton Commons shopping center seems to be making progress toward resolving the flooding issues that have plagued the area for a number of years.

The water basins have not been draining properly, and flooding has created a hazard for motorists and pedestrians.

In November, the Township Committee met with Cyndi Rovinsky, property manager of Hamilton Commons, and they reached an agreement whereby the shopping center and developer DDR of Beachwood, Ohio, would do what they could to fix the water basins.

Township attorney Robert S. Sandman reported Wednesday evening, Dec. 17 that the shopping center has come up with an interim stormwater management safety plan.

The plan was forwarded to Sandman and township engineer Bob Smith.

Sandman approved and accepted the plan, but said it states a great deal about the township's potential liability – something he said he is concerned about.

Smith said he has been communicating with DDR and Hamilton Commons, and they are moving forward to get their approvals in place before they start any work. Based on his communication with DDR and the shopping center, it appears that they are in line with what they said they would do at the last meeting, he said.

In other news, the township received a new program from the Federal Emergency Management Association called the FEMA Sheltering and Temporary Essential Power Program, or STEP. Township administrator Michael Jacobs said the program is fairly new.

The program is specifically for temporary repairs. For example, a homeowner who has a hole in the roof could receive funds to purchase plywood and tarp to cover up the hole. Jacobs said that while there are a lot of areas in the county that may need the program, he doesn't believe that Hamilton Township needs the program, which would require the township to put up 100 percent of the cost. Only 75 percent of that outlay would be reimbursed, leaving the township responsible for paying 25 percent of those temporary fixes, Jacobs said.

While the committee spent a great deal of time discussing the pros and cons of the program, ultimately it decided to forgo participation.


blog comments powered by Disqus