Family displaced by wood stove fire in Hamilton

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

Charlie Pritchard / This home at 6912 Railroad Blvd. in the Mizpah section of Hamilton Township was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived Wednesday, Jan. 22. Charlie Pritchard / This home at 6912 Railroad Blvd. in the Mizpah section of Hamilton Township was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived Wednesday, Jan. 22. HAMILTON TOWNSHIP – A fire that began because combustibles were placed too close to a wood-burning stove destroyed a home at 6912 Railroad Blvd. in the Mizpah section of Hamilton Township Wednesday, Jan. 22.

“The fire was reported at 11:48 a.m.,” said Hamilton Township Fire Inspector Frank Primavera. “The occupants attempted to douse the fire themselves, but were unable to do so.”

Despite a fast response from nine local fire companies, the home was destroyed.

“Initial responding units observed heavy fire and smoke coming from the residence,” according to a press release from the Township of Hamilton Police Department. “Firefighters were faced with extremely cold temperatures resulting in severe icing at the scene. Also, due to lack of fire hydrants, all water had to be shuttled in by responding fire trucks.”

The home was occupied by Carl Torian, a female companion, and Torian’s daughter, Carla. All occupants of the house escaped and no injuries were reported, police said. The house was completely destroyed.

The fire is being investigated by Primevera and Detective Frank Schalek.

Responding to the scene were fire companies from Mizpah, Weymouth, Mays Landing, East Vineland, Richland, Dorothy, Elwood, Milmay and Newtonville, the Hamilton Township Rescue Squad and the American Red Cross.

Stay on top of local news by liking The Hamilton Current on Facebook.

Charlie Pritchard / Fire crews faced extremely cold temperatures resulting in severe icing at the scene. Also, due to lack of fire hydrants, all water had to be shuttled in by responding fire trucks. Charlie Pritchard / Fire crews faced extremely cold temperatures resulting in severe icing at the scene. Also, due to lack of fire hydrants, all water had to be shuttled in by responding fire trucks.

 

 


blog comments powered by Disqus