Jersey City man indicted in shooting, decapitation of 2 men buried in Atlantic County

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

TRENTON – A 29-year-old Jersey City man has been indicted by a grand jury on charges he shot two men, cut off their heads and hands, and buried their remains in Buena Vista, acting Attorney General John J. Hoffman said.

Yusuf Ibrahim, 29, of Jersey City was charged with 16 counts, Hoffman said.

He was charged with two counts of murder, felony murder, kidnapping, robbery, and desecrating human remains, as well as numerous other crimes related to the murders and the mutilation of the bodies.

The indictment stems from an investigation by the New Jersey State Police, the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office and the Division of Criminal Justice, Hoffman said.

Authorities allege that on Feb. 5, 2013, Ibrahim murdered two Egyptian nationals who were living in Jersey City: Hany Tawadros, 25, and Amgad Konds, 27. 

Ibrahim allegedly abducted the men in Konds’ white Mercedes C280, Hoffman said. He then shot each man once in the chest with a .38-caliber handgun.

Ibrahim allegedly drove their bodies to Buena Vista, where he disposed of the remains in a wooded area behind the unoccupied home of a relative on Harding Highway. He stole the victims’ money and jewelry.

Before burying the victims, Ibrahim allegedly cut off body parts using a drywall saw and scissors. He also knocked out their teeth with a tire iron. He allegedly desecrated the bodies to hinder identification.

After staying overnight, Ibrahim allegedly drove the Mercedes to Philadelphia, where he set it on fire in a secluded setting in an effort to destroy evidence.

“These were vicious, cold-blooded murders in which Ibrahim allegedly executed his victims, decapitated them and bashed out their teeth with a tire iron in an attempt to avoid detection,” Hoffman said. 

“The charges against Yusuf Ibrahim depict an extraordinarily dangerous man,” Division of Criminal Justice Director Elie Honig said.

The murders came to light Feb. 7, 2013, when state police detectives responded to a report of Ibrahim’s activities at the Buena Vista home.

Police said they obtained permission to search the wooded area behind the house, where a cadaver dog located an area of disturbed dirt near the end of a trail extending from the backyard of the house into the woods.

Armed with a search warrant, detectives excavated the spot Feb. 8 and found the bodies. The cadaver dog was used again to find the victims’ heads and hands, which were buried about 40 yards from the original gravesite. Close to the second site, the dog detected the odor of human remains, and detectives recovered a small drywall saw, a pair of scissors and a tire iron, according to reports.

Further investigation by the New Jersey State Police and the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office led detectives to learn that the Philadelphia police had recovered Konds’ abandoned Mercedes, which contained evidence of the murders.

Ibrahim was located and arrested Feb. 10, 2013, at a residence in Bayonne by the New Jersey State Police and the U.S. Marshals Service. He is being held in the Hudson County jail with bail set at more than $3.5 million.

Last month, Ibrahim was indicted in connection with an armed robbery that occurred Sept. 19, 2012 in Jersey City.

Ibrahim allegedly shot a man in the foot with a handgun and pistol-whipped him while robbing the victim of his money and cellphone.

He was charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault, unlawful possession of a weapon, and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.

Ibrahim also is charged with first-degree carjacking and armed robbery in an indictment obtained by the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office related to a carjacking in Jersey City in December 2011.

The first-degree murder charges carry a sentence of 30 years without parole to life in state prison. The kidnapping charge carries a sentence of 15 to 30 years in state prison. First-degree charges carry a fine of up to $200,000. Second-degree charges carry a sentence of five to 10 years in state prison and a fine of up to $150,000. Third-degree charges carry a sentence of three to five years in state prison and a fine of up to $15,000, while fourth-degree charges carry a sentence of up to 18 months in state prison and a fine of up to $10,000. 

blog comments powered by Disqus