National Hurricane Center eyeing development of tropical disturbance

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

Though a tropical disturbance doesn’t look too menacing now, but future weather models say East Coast interests may have to monitor its progress later during the weekend of July 31-Aug. 2./National Hurricane Center Though a tropical disturbance doesn’t look too menacing now, but future weather models say East Coast interests may have to monitor its progress later during the weekend of July 31-Aug. 2./National Hurricane Center Though a tropical disturbance doesn’t look like much now, future weather models say East Coast interests may have to monitor its progress later during the weekend of July 31-Aug. 2. Some models show the disturbance growing into a tropical depression, storm and developing into a Category 1 hurricane by next week. Here is the latest:

National Hurricane Center: Watching the tropics

As of 2 p.m., Monday, July 28, the National Hurricane Center was monitoring shower and thunderstorm activity associated with a tropical wave that was southwest of the Cape Verde Islands.

The projected path of a tropical disturbance puts it in the western Atlantic Ocean by the end of the week while some forecast models indicate it could develop into at least a Category I hurricane/University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee The projected path of a tropical disturbance puts it in the western Atlantic Ocean by the end of the week while some forecast models indicate it could develop into at least a Category I hurricane/University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Conditions are favorable for gradual development over the next several days, according to the National Hurricane Center.

The disturbance is moving westward at 10-15 mph.

There is a 30 percent chance of the formation of a tropical depression in the next two days and 70 percent chance during the next five days, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricane by next week?

However, several forecast models indicate the disturbance could grow through becoming a tropical depression, storm and a hurricane as early as the weekend of July 31-Aug. 1.

All of the current suggested forecast models pull the storm into the Caribbean Sea around the time of the weekend so the system needs monitoring by interest in the Gulf of Mexico and Southeast United States.

The projected path of a tropical disturbance puts it in the western Atlantic Ocean by the end of the week while some forecast models indicate it could develop into at least a Category I hurricane/University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee The projected path of a tropical disturbance puts it in the western Atlantic Ocean by the end of the week while some forecast models indicate it could develop into at least a Category I hurricane/University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee  Like us on Facebook

For daily weather updates, trivia, long-term trends and more, make sure to like Shore Weather Today on Facebook.

Two years ago, a solar blast strong enough to cripple electrical power sources across the globe just missed the planet. Read more here: NASA says major solar storm nearly crippled the Earth

How expensive is living in New Jersey, a new survey tries to dispel the myth when it comes to energy costs. Click on New Jersey is one of the least expensive states when it comes to energy costs

For exciting weather trivia, click on the following to find out when:

Don't stand near sheep in a lightning storm

Tiny Pennsylvania village sets world rainfall record

Mercer County flood leaves 1,000 homeless

Boston Molasses Spill Quickly Kills dozens

17 tornadoes take aim for Northeast

Cyclone destroys international shipping center

California lake level drops 30 feet overnight

Dense fog causes 100-car pileup

Late season hurricane causes million in damages

Coastal hurricane causes late-season scare

Lake-effect snowstorm buries city

Before the Bllizzard of '77, this blizzard captured headlines

Wind, snow close off 80-mile gorge

When black rain fell on New York City

Cyclone kills nearly 500,000

Great Lakes disaster kills hundreds of sailors

Smog kills hundreds overnight

Shipping disaster, storm remembered in a hit song

Midwest town hit by F4 tornado, blizzard in the same day

Saint's day so evil they changed its name

Residents used to flooding in this northern Italian city

Europeans panic over nightly sight in the sky

Mountain snows bury western city

U.S. Navy blasted by hurricane

Pioneers trapped by 5-foot snowstorm

7,000 sickened by three-day smog in Pennsylvania

10,000 die in tropical cyclone

Violent storm forces English queen to hide in basement

Out of the world object strikes woman while she sleeps

Arctic chill reaches Gulf of Mexico


blog comments powered by Disqus